Re: An Introduction to Programming with Mathematica, Third Edition

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72632] Re: An Introduction to Programming with Mathematica, Third Edition
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 03:57:48 -0500 (EST)

dimitris wrote:
> Hello to all!
>
> I have a copy of the "An Introduction to Programming with Mathematica,
> Second Edition"
> by Graylord et al.
>
> Recently, I visited a bookstore and I take a quick look of the third
> edition (2005).
> Even though the outer (description) page states that Object Oriented
> Programming is covered along other programming aspects I was not able
> to find anything relevant neither inside the book, nor in the index.
>
> So, I didn't buy it.
>
> Does anyone  own this edition?
> If yes, am I right or wrong?
>
> Thanks for any response!
>
> Regards
> Dimitris

Hi Dimitris,

You are right.

I have just checked my very own copy of the book (3rd edition) and the
end of the blurb on the back cover must have been written by some
overenthusiastic marketing people!

The authors themselves warn the reader on page iv (Preface, "Book
contents"): "[...] the reader will not find a discussion of
object-oriented programming in Mathematica, [...]" and refer people whom
might be interested in such subject to Roman Maider's books on
programming and computer science.

Best Regards,
Jean-Marc