On AspectRatio

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72650] On AspectRatio
  • From: Virgil Stokes <vs at it.uu.se>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 05:10:15 -0500 (EST)

I have taken the following command from Help on AspectRatio.

Show[Graphics[Circle[{0, 0}, 1], AspectRatio -> Automatic]];

This does not give an aspect ratio of 1 on my monitor. In fact when I
measure the ratio of the height to width of the circle (or the
surrounding box) generated by this command it is greater than 1.0. This
is also true for

Show[Graphics[Circle[{0, 0}, 1], AspectRatio -> 1.0]];

Am I interpreting this option correctly? In any case would you please
tell me how I can get the height to width ratio = 1.0 .
My application is parametric plots (phase-plane analysis) and I need the
aspect ratio to be exactly one.

Thanks,
--V. Stokes