Re: how to quickly read a >10MB big file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72825] Re: how to quickly read a >10MB big file
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 05:49:42 -0500 (EST)

On 1/20/07 at 3:44 AM, p.wholey at gmail.com (P.Wholey) wrote:

>Hello, Friends: It is a file which has nearly 100,000 data lines. The
>file size is >10MB. Using mathematica 5, it takes over 30 mins to read
>the data in; but using fortran, it takes only several secs. Does anyone
>has a good idea to read such a file quickly.

For anyone to be of any real help, you need to provide some
details about how the file is structured and what you are doing
to read it in with Mathematica.

Mathematica is capable of reading large files in reasonable
times. For example, using Mathematica 5.2 on a Mac with a 1.6
GHz processor, I am able to read a file of 1.3 million lines (80
MB) in ~20 seconds.