Re: Notation related question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72878] Re: [mg72841] Notation related question
  • From: "T.Sariyski" <tsariysk at verizon.net>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 05:46:35 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
I would like to build an environment for working on electrodynamics
related problems using notations that mimics my writings on paper as
closely as possible. Let say that there is a user defined type Vec  so
that  E_Vec has internal representation {E_1,E_2,E_3}.  Accordingly r_Vec
would be represented internally as {r_1,r_2,r_3}. Than E[r] would be
represented as {E_1[r_1,r_2,r_3],E_2[r_1,r_2,r_3],E_3[r_1,r_2,r_3]}.
Assuming that the above construction is possible than a paper expression
like  div E(r)  would be entered on the notebook as
Div[E[r],Cartesian[r]].

I used to develop my code in Mathematica and generate Fortran code for
production so that I would like to be able to:

- formulate  (exactly)  a finite/infinite domain  electrodynamic problem.
- use DSolve or NDSolve (for simple test cases).
- to generate Fortran formatted output (after proper discretization).

Thanks, Ted