Re: How to find the index of a maximal element in a list?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg72962] Re: [mg72911] How to find the index of a maximal element in a list?
- From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
- Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 07:34:40 -0500 (EST)
- Reply-to: hanlonr at cox.net
Last[Ordering[listName]] Bob Hanlon ---- Valter Sorana <vsorana at yahoo.com> wrote: > I may have a mental block, but I cannot find anything better than > > Position[listName,Max[listName]] > > that traverses the list twice - once to find the maximum and once to find where it is. > > Isn't there a way to get both the index and the max value in one go? > > (of course one could write a loop that does this, but I want to avoid loops) > > Thanks, > > Valter. >