Re: Is it possible?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72965] Re: Is it possible?
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 07:46:43 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
First, note that it does not matter how v depends on a internally. You
have a scalar function of one argument: y=f[x]. All you are asking for
is the derivative of the inverse function of a given function . The key
word here is "inverse function". The derivative of the inverse function
is the inverse of the derivative. Consider dy=f'[x] dx and you want
dx/dy=(dy/dx)^-1= 1/f'[x], This looks simple but there is a catch. The
formula gives you dx/dy as a function of x. If this is fine your are
done. However if you need a function of y you will need the inverse
function to f. In general this is hard, but you may be lucky and have a
simple case, all depends on the actual function. For the general case,
you can search for the key word "lagrage inversion theorem".
Further, obviously, inversion is impossible in a region where f' is zero
somewhere.

Daniel