Re: eps exports with dashes in them (important - to me, anyway)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72972] Re: [mg72959] eps exports with dashes in them (important - to me, anyway)
  • From: János <janos.lobb at yale.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 05:37:37 -0500 (EST)

Chris,
On my OSX 10.4.8 machine with Mathematica 5.2 the command does the
same with a slight cosmetic improvement, that is the horizontal top
of the square root is not a dashed line, but a solid one.

According to the help Sqrt[21/x] is treated as (21/x)^(1/2) and for
that Mathematica might do a Factor or something similar automatically.

Now also the Help says the StandardForm[Sqrt[z]] should preserve z,
but that is not the case.

However if you do Sqrt[HoldForm[21/x]], then everything will be under
one "roof" :)

János D'Newbie

On Jan 26, 2007, at 7:22 AM, Chris Chiasson wrote:

> If I issue the this command,
>
> Export["C:\\windows.eps",Sqrt[21/x]]
>
> , with a fresh kernel on Mathematica 5.2 in Windows. I get an
> output that looks like:
>
> (use gsview and scroll down to see it)
>
> http://test.chris.chiasson.name/Mathematica/windows.eps
>
> This is ridiculous.
>
> I have no idea why Mathematica is behaving this way. It did this once
> before, in a more limited fashon. I made a thread about it here:
>
> (this next url needs to be all on one line to load)
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/
> browse_thread/thread/e5f1c88c86aeae49/
>
> At the end of the thread, Bruce Miller essentially said, "There are
> problems and we're working on them."
>
> My Windows computer did not exhibit the problem for a long time
> thereafter, but it started again a few days ago - and this time the
> problem is much worse. I have tried a lot of different things to get
> Mathematica to produce normal output, including completely
> reinstalling my operating system and Mathematica from scratch.
> However, this hasn't helped.
>
> I don't have the problem on my Linux computer, but it has other
> problems that prevent me from using it for production.
>
> Any help you give is appreciated. Thank you.
>
> --
> http://chris.chiasson.name/

Trying to argue with a politician is like lifting up the head of a
corpse.
(S. Lem: His Master Voice)