Re: Changing Defaults

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg73006] Re: Changing Defaults
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 01:31:58 -0500 (EST)

Brent Dutra wrote:
> Hi--
>
> I've been trying to see if it's possible to change (permanently) the default
> ViewPoint setting to another value. I know that I could use RealTime3D
> instead, however prerendered graphics are faster and easier to work with.
> One could use the 3D ViewPoint Selector, but that's a pain to copy and paste
> for every entry.
> I've seen how one could implement almost what I want by using:
> SetOptions[Plot3D,ViewPoint->{x,y,z}];
> which will last only for that session.
> Preferably I need to find the same thing but such that it always works when
> opening mathematica.
> Any ideas?

Put the SetOptions statement in the Kernel init.m file (not the Front
End init.m file). In Windows, you can find it somewhere like

C:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\5.2\Configuration\Kernel

You can put lots of useful things in the Kernel init.m, for example you
can have it load packages.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont