Re: Re: managing version 6 in a locked-down

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78531] Re: [mg78452] Re: managing version 6 in a locked-down
  • From: Todd Gayley <tgayley at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 05:44:47 -0400 (EDT)

At 05:48 AM 7/2/2007, Albert wrote:
>Hi,
>
> > As long as you allow writing to $UserBaseDirectory, pretty much
> any variant of
> > the system you're proposing should work fine.
> >
> > All of the paclet updates in shipping systems are saved in
> $UserBaseDirectory,
> > and a mapping system is in place to use the $UserBaseDirectory
> versions of these
> > files in preference to the ones in the installation directory.  If
> > $UserBaseDirectory is wiped clean, then the system will start downloading
> > updates from scratch.  Otherwise, the updates will be preserved, even if
> > Mathematica is reinstalled.  Nothing is ever overwritten in the
> installation
> > directory.
>
>Is there any means to explicitly control where these automatically
>downloaded files will go? I think that this would be what I would want
>if I'd be managing a machine where many different users use Mathematica.
>At least after I found that I am wasting backup space and time for the
>paclet data which resides as an identical copy in each users home
>directory and would even be updated automatically just in case. Since in
>such an environment the users home directories most probably will be
>served over the local area network, such a setup will also add
>unnecessary traffic and delays (not mainly for the download, but each
>time one of the paclets is called...). Or am I misunderstandig how all
>this works?

Albert,

A future release of Mathematica will support the ability to name
arbitrary directories as locations for paclet content, so that shared
paclet repositories can be created and managed by an administrator
and made available to all users.

If you _really_ want to do this right now, contact me directly and I
will show you how to do it in the current release. It's not yet a
polished, documented feature.

Todd Gayley
Wolfram Research