Lynk: a transparent persistence layer for Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78525] Lynk: a transparent persistence layer for Mathematica
  • From: Tyler Spaeth <lynk at pm.dv8.org>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 05:41:36 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I am a student at Excelsior College and have recently written a small,
open-source package called Lynk to provide a transparent persistence
layer for Mathematica.  In short, Lynk allows you to use standard
Mathematica operators to access persistent data.  I have included a
transcript of a very simple session using Lynk to help people get a
feel for Lynk.

If you end up using Lynk, I would love to how it is being used.  I
would also appreciate feedback about the design and implementation of
Lynk.

The main Lynk website is http://www.lynklayer.org.  The Lynk package
and notebook can be downloaded at
http://www.lynklayer.org/download.html.  The Lynk manual can be found
at http://www.lynklayer.org/documentation.html.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for your time,

Tyler Spaeth
lynklayer at pm.dv8.org

Transcript:

databaseConnection = OpenSQLConnection[JDBC["hsqldb",
ToFileName[{$UserBaseDirectory, "DatabaseResources"},
"Sample"]],"Username" -> "sa"]
	SQLConnection[1, "Open", "TransactionIsolationLevel" -> "ReadCommitted"]

lynkEnvironment[databaseConnection]

lynkSymbol[x]

lynkSymbol[f]

x = 2
	2

f[1] = x
	2

f[1]
	2

f[1] =.

f[1]
	f[1]

delynkEnvironment[]

CloseSQLConnection[databaseConnection]

<<<Restart of the Mathematica kernel>>>

databaseConnection = OpenSQLConnection[JDBC["hsqldb",
ToFileName[{$UserBaseDirectory, "DatabaseResources"},
"Sample"]],"Username" -> "sa"]
	SQLConnection[1, "Open", "TransactionIsolationLevel" -> "ReadCommitted"]

	2

ValueQ[f[1]]
	False