Re: Rotable Graphics and ViewPoint

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78584] Re: Rotable Graphics and ViewPoint
  • From: Peter Breitfeld <phbrf at t-online.de>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 03:53:36 -0400 (EDT)

Helen Read schrieb:
> First of all, I love the ability in 6.0 to grab 3D graphics and spin
> them around with the mouse. However, it would be nice if there were a
> more obvious way to return to the original ViewPoint and ViewVertical
> settings. Re-executing the graphic doesn't do it. I just now discovered
> that deleting the output cell before re-executing *does* return the
> graphic to the original ViewPoint / ViewVertical, but this (to me)
> wasn't an obvious thing to do. (I've had 6.0 for a good six or eight
> weeks, and I just now thought of it. Up until now I had been copying the
> input into a new cell and executing the new one, which I found a bit
> annoying.) OK, deleting the output before re-executing does work, but
> it's an extra step that I don't think should be necessary.
>
> Also, after rotating a graphic with the mouse, it would be nice to have
> an easy way to save a copy of the input for the graphic with the current
> ViewPoint (and ViewVertical) settings. Right now the only way I can see
> to extract the ViewPoint (and ViewVertical) is to open up the output
> cell (Shft-Ctrl-E), scroll all the way to the end, copy the ViewPoint
> and ViewVertical, close up the cell, and paste the ViewPoint and
> ViewVertical into my input. This isn't something I'd ever suggest to my
> students.
>
> So here's what I would really like.
>
> 1. Re-executing a 3D graphic would return it to the original ViewPoint
> and ViewVertical settings.
>
> 2. An easy way to make a copy of a graphic with the current ViewPoint
> and ViewVertical settings pasted into the input, sort of like the way
> Paste Snapshot works for Manipulate, so that I can delete all output
> before quitting, come back later and recreate the graphic in the state
> that I had it.
>
> (With regard to #2, my students have limited storage space on the
> network, and it also makes the files smaller for passing them around via
> e-mail or web if we can save them with output deleted.)
>
> --
> Helen Read
> University of Vermont

Helen,
instead of looking at the file contents with Shft-Ctrl-E you can
reevalute the output cell where you moved the graphic and then call

Options[%]

You will get all the altered settings

You can also write Options[ ], put the cursor between the brackets
and then paste in the output cell with Shft-Ctrl-L

But still you have to delete the additional graphic after pasting
the View* settings

Gruss Peter
--
Peter Breitfeld, Bad Saulgau, Germany -- http://www.pBreitfeld.de