Re: Simple but puzzling plotting question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78605] Re: Simple but puzzling plotting question
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 04:04:31 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/4/07 at 5:43 AM, desmier.pe at forces.gc.ca (ouadad) wrote:

>I simply want to plot three currency daily exchange rates, USD, GBP
>and EURO, from April 1, 1990 to March 31, 2006.  The problem is the
>EURO.  Since it only came into existence on 01 January 1999, I don't
>have data going as far back as 1990.  Therefore, for the Euro
>column, all entries for the period April 1, 1990 to December 31,
>1998 are blank.  Unfortunately, this causes a partw error in
>Mathematica.  Does anyone know how to plot different sized datasets
>on the same graph?

Using version 6, this can be done easily as follows:

First generate two data sets of differing length:

set1 = Sort@Table[RandomReal[], {5}];
set2 = Sort@Table[RandomReal[], {10}];

then plot them:

ListPlot[{set1, set2}, Joined -> True]

Or if you are using version 5.x, you can get a similar result with:

set1 = Sort@Table[Random[], {5}];
set2 = Sort@Table[Random[], {10}];

Show[
   Block[{$DisplayFunction=Identity},
     {ListPlot[set1, PlotJoined->True, PlotStyle->Blue],
      ListPlot[set2, PlotJoined->True, PlotStyle->Red]}],
   PlotRange->All];