Re: Mathematica forgets a solution in DSolve!!!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78692] Re: [mg78648] Mathematica forgets a solution in DSolve!!!
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 05:58:32 -0400 (EDT)
On 6 Jul 2007, at 23:33, bernardo.rimanno wrote:

> Thank you for considering my post. I have some comments anyway:
>

>> I have supressed the output, which is an algebraic equation
>> Mathematica is unable to Solve
>
> I think Mathematica outputs a transcendental equation, otherwise it
> would have been quite easy to solve it :)

Yes, of course (although it is certainly not true that algebraic
equations are easy to solve!). I meant that it is not a differential
equation.

>> The second solution is exactly the solution you got (relace 2 E^(C
>> [1]/2) by C[1]).
>
> Unfortunately, I don't get my solution: y = x^2/4  :)

Well, actually you get more than you are entitled to expect! This is
a non-linear differential equation of the kind that does not appear
to be mentioned at all in the documentation. So actually you can
consider the fact that you get any solutions at all a kind of bonus.
However, I think a message, pointing out that these are not all the
solutions would be in order.

Andrzej Kozlowski