Re: [TS 19874]--Re:broken documentation pages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78711] Re: [TS 19874]--Re:broken documentation pages
  • From: "Chris Chiasson" <chris at chiasson.name>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 06:08:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 18:00:05 UT, Tom Zeller wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Thanks for the report.  You may already know that these are available in
> the local Document Center at
>
> tutorial/ConstrainedOptimizationLinearProgramming
>
> and
>
> DatabaseLink/tutorial/DatabaseConnections
>
> respectively.  These are not broken on my installation.
<snip/>
> Is there an application or context you are approaching this from?
>
> Tom Zeller
> Wolfram Research Technical Support

Long story short: I solved the problem at hand.

Convoluted explanation:

I was trying to create a hyperlink to another cell within a notebook
(i.e. intra-notebook link) so that I can refer to something in my
bibliography. The documentation for Hyperlink explains how to create
other links, but not one to the originating notebook.

So, I was trying to model my box structures off of the citation of
Brent's method, [Br02], seen here:

paclet:tutorial/UnconstrainedOptimizationBrentsMethod

that refers to a bibliography cell in this notebook:

paclet:tutorial/UnconstrainedOptimizationReferences

the relevant bibliography cell is:

Cell[TextData[{
 "[Br02] R. P. Brent, ",
  StyleBox["Algorithms for Minimization without Derivatives",
  FontSlant->"Italic"],
 ", New York: Dover, 2002 (Original volume 1973)."
}], "Text",
  CellTags->{"Br02", "b:0.7"},
  CellID->637113374]

Notice the CellID. Trying to figure out what that is led me to create
this thread.

Eventually, I found a post,

http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2006/Nov/msg00861.html

, that helped me re-find the interface for doing an intra-notebook
link to a tagged cell via the front end menu system:
Insert->Hyperlink. I should have remembered how to do this, but a few
years have passed since I last did it.

Also, I think I learned what CellID is. It is a unique identifier that
is addressable via paclet URI fragments.

definition of a URI:
http://www.apps.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.html

unique identifiers have a long tradition in markup languages, here is
one of the latest definitions:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-id/

Here is the above-mentioned Brent citation box structure, where the
relevant URI may be seen:

ButtonBox["Br02",
  BaseStyle->"Link",
  ButtonData->"paclet:tutorial/UnconstrainedOptimizationReferences#637113374"]

For comparison, here is the tag based hyperlink box structure that I
created via the menu interface:

ButtonBox["BLB97",
  BaseStyle->"Hyperlink",
  ButtonData->"BLB97"]

Tags are not required to be unique, so I guess that is why WRI made CellID.

--
http://chris.chiasson.name/