Re: broken documentation pages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78693] Re: broken documentation pages
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 05:59:03 -0400 (EDT)

It is an undocumented Cell options that is a "unique" identifier for
the cell.   The associated Notebook Option, CreateCellID, tells a
notebook whether to assign this the CellID option to cells as they are
created in a notebook . Currently CreateCellID appears in the Global
context if you call it, but that is a bug that I have reported this
WRI.

It turns out hat you can find cells via their CellIDs using
NotebookFInd.    But, buyer beware!  None of this is documented, and
therefore it may vanish in a puff of design review decisions, as is
true for all undocumented Mathematica "features."

It is however, a very useful feature.  I created something similar in
A WorkLIfe FrameWork where cells are tagged with a variety of unique
identifiers as cell tags. This allows me to do many manipulations on
notebooks and to grab, extract, and display  information for the user
in a variety of ways. The existence of the CellID unique identifier
option opens up many interesting possibilities that I plan to use in A
WorkLIfe FrameWork in the future.  But, of course that depends on
whether CellID is a persistent feature....

--David Reiss

A WorkLife FrameWork
E x t e n d i n g MATHEMATICA's=AE Reach...=99
http://scientificarts.com/worklife
Mathematica-6 compatible