Re: Re: Save As HTML does not produce any output

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78700] Re: [mg76356] Re: Save As HTML does not produce any output
  • From: "Igor C. Antonio" <igora at wolf-ram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 06:02:41 -0400 (EDT)

Nasser Abbasi wrote:
> "ragfield" <ragfield at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:f1s0f9$bn7$1 at smc.vnet.net...
>> On May 7, 3:41 am, "Nasser Abbasi" <n... at 12000.org> wrote:
>>> Mathematica 6, student version, windows XP home edition.
>>>
>>> I tried this on 2 note books so far, and same result.
>>> I hope a notebook, the FILE->Save as and select HTML, and Save.
>>>
>>> Mathematica 6 now seems to get busy, but no files are written out in the
>>> folder specified. Nothing.
>>>
>>> Here is a notebook I tried it on
>>>
>>> http://12000.org/tmp/050607/qr.nb
>>>
>>> save to PDF works fine.
>>>
>>> I have a feeling something is wrong with the HTML export in Mathematica
>>> 6.
>>> Could someone who has Mathematica 6 please verify?
>>

>> Does the path you're saving the HTML files to have any special
>> characters in it?  Perhaps try saving somewhere else on your hard
>> drive to see if that works (e.g. C:\TEMP).
>>
>> -Rob
>
> No special path.  Normal E:\blabla folder.  This works fine in 5.2.
>
> There IS a problem with HTML generation in 6.0.  see below, May be my path
> is TOO long to handle? This is the path I work in:
>
> E:\nabbasi\data\nabbasi_web_Page\my_courses\UCI_COURSES\CREDIT_COURSES\fall_2006\PHYS_100_comp_physics\HWs\HW1\
>
> In the Messages console (I did not know about this before, nice), when I do
> SAVE AS html, I get these errors: I need now to figure why/what these mean.
> Mean while if someone had this same problem and have solution, please post.
>
> Set::shape: Lists
> {System`Convert`HTMLDump`directory,System`Convert`CommonDump`filename} and
> System`Convert`CommonDump`DirectoryAndFile[E:\nabbasi\data\nabbasi_web_P\[Ellipsis]\HW1\HTML\AbbasiN12_FINAL.html]
> are not the same shape. >>

<snip>

> Nasser

Hi Nasser,

Sorry for the inconvenience you're running into with this notebook.  I just read
this thread after you linked to it from a more recent post.  I wasn't able to
keep up with Mathgroup soon after the release of version 6...

The length of your filepath is not a problem.  I want to try to reproduce your
problem over here, but so far I haven't been able to.  Can you email me
(privately) the following information:

- Exact location of notebook file when you open it in Mathematica
- Exact destination where you're saving as HTML
- Exact filename you're typing in the dialog box when saving as HTML
- A Mathematica notebook containing the output of SystemInformation[] of your
system.

I will then take a look at it.  I have some questions for you.  Please include
the responses in the same email as mentioned above:

Can you consistently run into this error?

Does it make a difference if you try to save it somewhere else?  Try creating a
new folder on your desktop.

Is your E:\ a network drive?

Does it happen with other notebooks?

The error messages you mentioned above are internal errors, so don't expect to
figure out what's wrong simply by looking at them.  Solemnly based on the errors
you've shown, I can tell you that it's having a problem parsing the destination
directory (first error), so Rob's question about special characters in the
filepath was important.  All the other error messages are due to the unparsed
information.

One last thing:  Try exporting by using the Export[] command instead of File >
Save As and let me know if it still doesn't work.  You can use:

nb = NotebookOpen["<notebookfilepath>"];
Export["test.html", nb, "HTML"]

Thanks,

--
Igor C. Antonio
Wolfram Research, Inc.

To email me personally, remove the dash.