Re: Re: limit

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78764] Re: Re: limit
  • From: chuck009 <dmilioto at comcast.com>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 01:32:11 -0400 (EDT)

> But the latter derivative is clearly wrong (probably
> due to some
> simplification rule, applied without our knowledge,
> that isn't correct at
> s=1):

Hello Dr. Bob,

I believe part of the problem here lies with the inability of Mathematica to calculate the derivative of HypergeometricPFQ when p>2 and q>1.  For example, consider:

f[s_]:=HypergeometricPFQ[{1/4+s/4,1/4+s/4},{1/2},1]

which converges for s<0.  I can rewrite this in terms of the Gamma function as:

f2[s_] := Sum[(Gamma[1/4 + s/4 + k]/
      Gamma[1/4 + s/4])^2*(Gamma[1/2]/
     (Gamma[1/2 + k]*k!)), {k, 0, Infinity}]

Just to check it:

f[-0.4]
f2[-0.4]

Out[128]=
1.25516

Out[129]=
1.25516

I can now take the derivative of both f and f2 and check the value at s=-0.4:

In[150]:=

fd[s_]=D[f[s],s];
fd2[s_]=D[f2[s],s];

fd[-0.4]
fd2[-0.4]

Out[152]=
1.454715739187473

Out[153]=
1.45472

Everything is ok up to this point.  If I add one more term to {a} and another to {b} (this time converging for s<1):

In[158]:=
f[s_] := HypergeometricPFQ[{1/4 + s/4, 1/4 + s/4,1/4+s/4},
    {1/2,1}, 1];

f2[s_] := Sum[(Gamma[1/4 + s/4 + k]/
      Gamma[1/4 + s/4])^3*(Gamma[1/2]/
     (Gamma[1/2 + k]*k!)(Gamma[1]/Gamma[1+k])), {k, 0, Infinity}]
f[-0.4]
f2[-0.4]

Out[160]=
1.01107

Out[161]=
1.01107

Still can calculate HypergeometricPFQ but if I try to take the derivative of either expression, Mathematica seems unable to complete the calculation, my machine starts humming indicating (for me anyway) a chronic load on the CPU and I end up interrupting the calculation with Alt ,

Note the cube and another term in the sum.  Perhaps we're asking too much to calculate the derivative of such an expression.