the FontType option

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78817] the FontType option
  • From: Selwyn Hollis <sh2.7183 at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 06:33:21 -0400 (EDT)

I recently discovered a bug in QuickTime export that showed itself as
a missing horizontal line of pixels across the center of anything
exported to QuickTime. After Tech Support told me they couldn't
reproduce the problem, I dug around until I finally discovered that
the problem occurs only when PrivateFontOptions "FontType" is set to
"Outline" rather then "Bitmap."  (Tech support seemed to think that
having the FontType option set oddly to "Outline" was what was wrong,
as opposed to there actually being a bug.)

Anyway, I have habitually set FontType->"Outline" for as long as I
can remember. In the "old days" it was necessary in order that Adobe
Type Manager would scale Type 1 fonts. Since OS X and prior to
Mathematica 6, it was necessary in order to have font smoothing via a
"haxie" called Silk (www.unsanity.com). Now with 6, in most cases
type looks more-or-less the same either way, but for some reason it
has an effect on line height.

The documentation says exactly six words about the FontType option:
"whether a given font is bitmapped." What does this mean? That type
is converted to bitmaps by Mathematica, rather than letting the OS
handle type?

But I guess what I'm most puzzled about is why anyone cares anymore
about "bitmapped" fonts. I use dozens different applications, and
only with Mathematica is this an issue. And why should "Bitmap" be
the default?

Selwyn Hollis