Re: the FontType option

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78861] Re: [mg78817] the FontType option
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 06:15:08 -0400 (EDT)

The name is somewhat confusing, and has some unfortunate origins in the font
technology used on early Macintosh versions.  But the principle is
straightforward...

"Bitmap" means use a screen font.  The font selection is done according to how
your screen rendering system would choose the font, and metric measurements are
computed according to how the fonts are drawn on the screen.  As such, a
"Bitmap" font is completely inappropriate for printing.  Historically, the font
chooser might have actually selected a bitmap font (which were designed for
screens and cannot be decently printed), although font technology in modern
windowing systems has developed well beyond those days.

"Outline" means to use a printer font.  The font selection is done according to
how your printer driver would choose the font, and metric measurements are
computed according to the printer.  If you are using an "Outline" font on the
screen, then what it's doing is to take the measurements from the default
printer which would be used to print your document, and rescaling them
according to the screen.  Since screen and printer metrics are often going
to be off by a bit, this means you'll see some odd spacing on the screen.
However, that spacing will faithfully preserve the dimensions of the overall
cell according tohhow it would be printed.

The Printout environment uses "Outline" while most of the other environments
use "Bitmap".  When PostScript or PDF is exported, it will, by default, use
"Outline".

The font metric issue is why you're seeing a difference in line height.
I can'tcomment on your past uses of "Outline", since they involve
Macintosh-isms beyondmy reckoning.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com