Mathematica player, nbp file format, just for the demonstration project?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78918] Mathematica player, nbp file format, just for the demonstration project?
  • From: Nasser Abbasi <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 05:30:04 -0400 (EDT)

When I first learned about MP (Mathematica player), I thought the idea
was that it was meant to play any Mathematica 6 .nbp file or ,nb file
which can contain dynamic stuff (Manipulate[]). i.e. I have thought
that one can write an ,nb file with Manipulate[] and email this file
to anyone, and that person can play the file using MP even if they do
not have Mathematica installed.

But I think this is the case with MP instead:  MP will only work on
files downloaded from demonstration project site. It seems one must
send the .nb file to demo site, then the file is converted there
to ,nbp and be digitally signed and only then others can download it
and use MP to play it. Is this correct?

Since there is no SAVE AS .nbp option in Mathematica 6.  So how does
one create these files from an .nb file?

If MP is only meant to play files downloaded just from Mathematica
demonstration project site, then what is the point of MP??  I have
assumed all along it is meant to be used by any one to play anyone's
else Mathematica 6 files?

Am I missing something here? Could someone please clarify what MP is
all about?

thanks,

Nasser