Re: Book or Manual for 6?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78913] Re: Book or Manual for 6?
  • From: congruentialuminaire at yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 05:27:24 -0400 (EDT)

I still use my printed Mathematica V4 book a lot. I saw today that Amazon has
a printed V5 book for more than $250!

But I guess that most of these comments could be addressed by having a
good 'index' of links to guide someone through the material. This is
one of the dreams of electronic documentation, namely that there can
be many 'books' or paths through the material. Of course and
unfortunately, the number of successful efforts of this is miniscule.

I like to print sections from the V5 Help Browser. These work great on
the train (or the plane). Alas I am killing tree to do this.

And I have some major issues with the search and index function in the
Help Browser. Over time my ability to be successful on first attempt
has improved, but I frequently cannot find what I suspect and is
almost always there.

Regards..Roger W.