Re: Re: annoying documentation in 6 (rant)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79087] Re: [mg79068] Re: annoying documentation in 6 (rant)
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 02:57:23 -0400 (EDT)

Here's another shortcoming of the 6.0 Documentation Center organization
(or lack thereof).

When one uses special input forms (abbreviations), such as = and := and
/. and @ and @@ and @@@ and /@, what is the order of precedence and what
is the grouping when a single form appears several times in a row?

In The Mathematica Book this was answered in an obvious place, namely,
Section A.2, "Input Syntax", of the Appendix "Mathematica Reference Guide".

Where is it in the Version 6.0 Documentation Center?  After some
considerable searching I found it in tutorial/InputSyntax.

But at this point I cannot even reconstruct how I found it!  I tried
searching on "precedence" and "order of precedence".  The first turns up
nothing obviously useful. The second gave as the tenth entry "The Syntax
of the Mathematica Language", which is a tutorial.  And roughly a third
to a half-way down in that tutorial says,

   The table in "Operator Input Forms" gives the complete
   ordering by precedence of all operators in Mathematica.

The phrase 'Operator Input Forms' there has a link, finally, to the
correct place in the tutorial (!!) InputSyntax.

Another possible route to the same thing is from the home page of the
Documentation Center, at the item "Syntax" in the first box "Core
Language".  The target is guide/Syntax.  In that guide, near the bottom
of the page, under "Tutorials", is a link to the aforementioned tutorial
"The Syntax of the Mathematica Language" (which then requires spotting
the further link to the relevant material). And in guide/Syntax there's
another tutorial link, "Input Syntax", whose target is the desired
end-point tutorial/InputSyntax.

Such are the ways of the 6.0 Documentation Center -- and some of the
intricacies and limitations of combining expository and tutorial
presentations with reference materials.

In the case at hand, I got there eventually.  But after I did I felt
like it shouldn't be so hard.  (Maybe the younger generations are more
adept or more patient at negotiating searches than I!)

So: The more I use the Documentation Center, the more I like it and,
at the same time, the more I miss The Mathematica Book (whether printed
or electronic).

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305