Re: UnTableForming a TableFormed Table?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79080] Re: UnTableForming a TableFormed Table?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 02:53:45 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for multiple replies on this.  I'll use Bob Hanlon's example:

   myTableS = {{a, b}, {c, d}, {e, f}};
   myTableF = TableForm[myTableS,
      TableHeadings -> {{"r1", "r2", "r3"}, {"c1", "c2"}}];
   myTableF[[1]] == myTableS

         True

to add just a couple or three final comments on this (final from me,
anyway).

1)  This clearly works, and might be useful.  For example, I can create
two such formatted tables and then join their data portions using

   Join[ myTableF1[[1]],  myTableF2[[1]] ]

Formatting this joined list using some combination of the options
information in the two TableForms will be a more complex problem
 -- one perhaps not worth attempting.

2) The syntax "[[1]]" is commonly used to find parts of lists.  So, if
one can legally write myTableF[[1]], the naive user might reasonably
suppose that myTableF must also have a list-like structure -- in which
case one should also be able to write

   Join[ mytableF1, myTableF2 ]

Doing this may or may not produce a result that's useful for anything,
but it should at least produce a syntactically valid result -- right?
(All I get by trying this is a firestorm of error messages.)

2)  In any case, I suggest it be might desirable for the Help page on
TableForm to mention that this [[1]] syntax is available.