Re: UnTableForming a TableFormed Table?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79142] Re: UnTableForming a TableFormed Table?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 03:39:50 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/18/07 at 2:53 AM, siegman at stanford.edu (AES) wrote:

>2)  In any case, I suggest it be might desirable for the Help page
>on TableForm to mention that this [[1]] syntax is available.

Instead of looking for this to be documented as part of the
documentation for TableForm, look at the existing documentation
for Part. Any expression, not just lists can use this syntax to
extract a piece of the expression. The only thing to know is
what piece you want, i.e. what indices to use. And this can
usually (always?) be determined by looking at the FullForm of
the expression you want a piece of. Since this characteristic of
Part is documented, it would be rather redundant to add this to
every function such as TableForm that creates a data structure.