Re: Mathematica to .NET compiler

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79212] Re: Mathematica to .NET compiler
  • From: Albert <awnl at arcor.net>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 04:25:42 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Jon,
> Would anyone be interested in a compiler that translates Mathematica code
> into code that runs on Microsoft's .NET?

I would love to have that...

...but don't you think that this is quite an ambitious project? As far
as I can tell, this would more or less mean to write a mathematica clone
(o.k. just the kernel would probably be a good first step...) in one of
the .NET languages, or do I miss something? I tink if you just support
the common subset of what is supported by mathematica as well as the
.NET-family of languages the outcome would probably not be that useful...

> This would allow general purpose programs written in Mathematica to execute
> much more efficiently.

Hm, if you want the code to run faster than within mathematica, it is
probably even more ambitious...

albert