RE: Re: Embedded Style Sheets

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79218] RE: [mg79166] Re: Embedded Style Sheets
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 04:28:49 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for that Selwyn.

I did something like that before and for some reason I complicated it up and
thought it was difficult. Now I realize that it is not difficult at all.

When you use 'Edit Style Sheet' the notebook style sheet that appears will
have a cell that refers to the private style sheet the notebook is based on.
One can just click on the link in that cell to bring up the private style
sheet. Then delete the cell. The styles in the notebook will now lose the
private styling. But, if you have new cell types they will NOT lose those
cell style names. Then it is easy to select all the cells in the private
style sheet and paste them into the notebook style sheet. Everything is
restored properly. Then just close both style sheets.

One can test that the notebook has the styles simply by using 'Edit Style
Sheet' again and all the embedded styles will appear.

This assumes that the private style sheet is based on one of the standard
distributed style sheets. This will almost always be the case. What happens
if the private style sheet is based on another private style sheet? I don't
think that is easily done. The moral is don't go wild with cascading style
sheets.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark

From: Selwyn Hollis [mailto:sh2.7183 at earthlink.net]

I didn't reply to this before, because I thought it was rather
obvious and not the kind of answer you were looking for, but just in
case...

Choose Edit StyleSheet... from the Format menu, delete the one cell
that's there (or not), and then copy & paste the contents of your
style sheet there.

-- Selwyn