FindFit in 6.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79305] FindFit in 6.0
  • From: "Dana DeLouis" <dana.del at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 06:03:05 -0400 (EDT)

Would like to check w/ others.
If I use FindFit, and use a "dummy" Method, I'm given a list of the valid
available methods:  Here's my error output:

FindFit::bdmtd: Value of option Method -> dummy is not Automatic, \
"Gradient", "ConjugateGradient", "InteriorPoint", "QuasiNewton", \
"Newton", "NMinimize", or "LevenbergMarquardt". >>

Hmm.  "InteriorPoint" sounds interesting.
However, this crashes my Kernal quickly.
Was wondering if it happens to others.

FindFit[
{9, 18, 31, 48},
a*x^2 + b x + c,
{a, b, c},
x,
Method -> InteriorPoint]

We note that both "InteriorPoint" & "NMinimize" are not listed in Help for
"FindFit."
But the Help files in 6.0 are so poorly written that it's hard to tell.
Method->NMinimize doesn't crash my kernal.

A correct/wrong method shouldn't crash the kernel, right?

Thanks for any insight.
Using 6.0, (trying)
Using 5.2 Help files
Studying 4.0 Book.