ConversionRules documentation problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79316] ConversionRules documentation problem
  • From: "Chris Chiasson" <chris at chiasson.name>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 06:08:50 -0400 (EDT)

In a thread I started called "combined front end and html conversion
problems", I said I left out certain things to make the post more
clear. Those things are mentioned here. If you don't want to read my
whining, *skip to* the last three paragraphs.

1. It was difficult to figure out how to use ConversionRules because
the best documentation on how to use it is buried in an "obsolete"
page that isn't included in v6 and because of the problems I mentioned
in the "combined front ..." thread.

2. The Publicon documentation that ranks high in Google searches for
ConversionRules doesn't work for Mathematica 6, because NoOutput (and
$CellContext`NoOutput as seen in Mathematica 6's PublicationDefault.nb, AFAIK)
is not defined.

3. The Mathematica 6 documentation on this subject doesn't show how to use it
in a stylesheet.

Here is the "obsolete" documentation for using ConversionRules (scroll down):
http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/Built-inFunctions/InputAndOutput/ImportAndExport/AdditionalInformation/HTMLSave.html

The obsolete documentation also mentions a way to retrieve the version
5 HTML Export/Import sources, which would have been invaluable to me
early on in the process of examining the code (but not for solving the
problem, since that was caused by new code).

A similar release of the version 6 Export/Import code would be useful
for solving the other problems I've encountered (numbered lists not
being enumerated, blank bar at the bottom of the first image in a
generated file) and will encounter in the future.

--
http://chris.chiasson.name/