a challenging definite integral!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79317] [mg79317] a challenging definite integral!
  • From: dimitris <dimmechan at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 06:09:21 -0400 (EDT)

This integral has appeared some time ago
in a Vladimir Bondarenko post in another forum.
Occasionally, it has appeared in some diferent
posts also in MathGroup.

Mathematica 5.2 and 6 gives incorrectly
Pi^2/6 while another CAS returns unevaluated
the integral.

In[260]:=
Integrate[Log[1 + Exp[-z]/Sqrt[z]], {z, 0, Infinity}]
{N[%], NIntegrate[Log[1 + Exp[-z]/Sqrt[z]], {z, 0, Infinity}]}

Out[260]=
Pi^2/6

Out[261]=
{1.6449340668482262, 1.0179913870581465}

convert("Integrate[Log[1 + Exp[-z]/Sqrt[ z]], {z, 0, Infinity}]
",FromMma,evaluate);evalf(%);
                       infinity
                      /
                     |                 exp(-z)
                     |          ln(1 + -------) dz
                     |                   1/2
                    /                   z
                      0
                             1.017991387

In Mathematica the integral is evaluated (mistakenly as we said) by the
convolution
method.

At this point I would like to show Professor's Richard Fateman
invaluable
comments about this integral on a private communication.

"...While it may not seem hard to you, it turns out that there are
three
components to the Risch integration algorithm: exponential, log and
algebraic.
this integrand, if it is done using the Risch algorithm, requires
that
all of them work, together.

Since there is not, so far as I know, a complete implementation of
the
algebraic case in Mathematica there may be problems with
the hacks taken to bypass this lack of implementation.
So I don't find the issue to be surprising..."

I have spent considerable time for this integral!
It is not an important task its evaluation, but I would like to see
possible workarounds (by hand or/and  CAS in
order to get a closed form solution.

Thank you very much!

Dimitris S. Anagnostou