Re: Re: curve fit for exp function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79357] Re: [mg79325] Re: curve fit for exp function
  • From: Martin Channon <mgcqso at comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 02:13:52 -0400 (EDT)

Hey folks, I'd like to ask for some more help, but this would be on a
consulting-fee basis. I am trying to fit a certain set of points with an
exp function. I have curve fitting software, but it can't handle the
problem. I understand that it is possible to write a program in
Mathematica to do this sort of thing. I don't know how to do it myself,
and I don't want to spend the time trying to learn how. I'd rather pay
someone who already knows . What makes the problem defeat my curve
fitting software is that the points are expressed with many decimal
places, for example, 9.9999999995. I need to fit this with a function
that is nearly zero along  the interval -50 < X <9.99 and then rises
sharply. I have pretty much the ideal function. It is Y =
a*Exp[-b(X-10)^c]. The points are subject to modification, but here is a
typcial set:

10
9.999999997
9.999999993
9.999999986
9.999999977
9.999999963
9.999999939
9.999999886
9.999999678
9.999999566

This is bell-shaped curve; it goes down again on the right after
reaching a peak, but the right side doesn't matter for me. This is worth
$100 to me even if you can do it in five minutes. I would want to be
able to insert the points and get back a, b and c. Actually, the exp
part could also be made a parameter. Anybody interested in some pocket
change? I can send payment via PayPal.