Re: Mathematica 6 Cell Grouping

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79335] Re: Mathematica 6 Cell Grouping
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 02:02:11 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Derek,

I have not read your complete post yet, but I have to (hopefully
helpful) comments.

To do the sort of extraction of material from a notebook that you are
wanting to do (in your case to be able to print a notebook without a
bunch of ancilliary thngs in it such as input and Output cells) the
rout of tagging is exactly the way to go.  However, ther are some
issues that make it slightly messy.  One approach is, as you mentione,
to tag the cells that you don't want, isolate them, and print out the
complement of those cells.

How does one do this?  There are several strategies, but the ideal one
requires some more sophisticated detail.

Here's one. (Note that my approach here is to make sure not to
potentially destroy the content in your original notebook, so I will
be making a duplicate notebook and working on that.)

1) Select Input cells and tag them with a tag of your choosing, let's
call it "mytag".
2) Select Output cells and tag them with the same tag (or a different
one, but that might make thins a bit more complicated.
2a) note that if you tag the input cells and then execute them, then
the output cells will also inherit that tag..  Also if you tag the
output cells with a **different** tag, they will lose this tag when
the input cells are re-eevaluated.  So, the lesson here is, don't
bother tagging the output cells with different gags unless you want to
re-tag them each time you evaluate the input cells.

3) Call the notebook object of your original notebook nb and  create a
duplicate of it

nbget=NotebookGet[nb];
nbnew=NotebookPut[nbget]

I do it this way so that the nrew notebook nbnew has all of the same
optoins as the original.

4) For nbnew remove all of the cells that you don't want

nbf=NotebookFind[nbnew,"mytag",All,CellTags]
NotebookDelete[nbf]

Note that this last bit assumes that all fo the tagged cells are
deletable and editable.

5) Now just print nbnew

Comments:  Mathematica does not have a direct means for selecting the
**complement** of the cells with a tag.  If it could, tehn you cold
directly select those cells that don't have the tag "mytag" and open a
noew notebook wth those cells in it.

In A WorkLife FrameWork (http://scientificarts.com/worklife) the
tagging palette as buttons to do exactly this ane quite a bit more.

See

http://scientificarts.com/worklife/documentation/taggingpalette.html

and the screencast about tagging at

http://scientificarts.com/worklife/screencasts/index.html

I hoep that this helps,

David

On Jul 24, 5:57 am, yat... at mac.com wrote:
> I have been trying to infer the CellGroupingRules option in order to
> accomplish the following:

<snip>