Re: Insanely Large PDFs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79430] Re: Insanely Large PDFs
  • From: ragfield <ragfield at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 05:40:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Jul 25, 12:44 am, yat... at mac.com wrote:
> Using Export or File -> Save As.. and then creating a PDF from
> Mathematica Version 6 creates huge PDFs. If you open the PDF in say
> Adobe Acrobat Standard, and then simply resave, the resultant file can
> be much smaller.

It depends on what you're saving.  Mathematica 6.0.0 compresses
everything except for raster images (which can be quite large).
Mathematica 6.0.1 also compresses raster images, so the file size
should be much smaller if your notebook contains many rasters.

> I looked around for an option in Mathematica so that it would save the
> PDF's in compressed form and with only the required fonts embedded,
> but have not found one.

PDF export obeys the DataCompression option (see Option Inspector),
which is set to True by default.

Rob
Wolfram Research