Re: Can Mathematica do this?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79438] Re: Can Mathematica do this?
  • From: dimitris <dimmechan at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 05:40:42 -0400 (EDT)

On 25     , 09:39, "Peter Hensen" <peter_hen... at cox.net> wrote:
> Can Mathematica do this?
> You plug in a complex-valued function, it gives you all the poles of the
> function on the complex plane automatically...

On second run, (and since you also posted the same question
in a forum regarding another CAS), you may find interesting the
 function singular of this CAS (this command is based to the
solve command; someone can implement-surely not an easy task!-a
 similar function to Mathematica)

Type to a worksheet of the of the other CAS

#code from the other CAS#
?singular;

See the help browser of the other CAS for more details.

Regards
Dimitris

PS1)
Thanks professor R. Israel for point me out this useful
function.

PS2)

Some examples follows now

> singular(x*y + 1/(x*y), x);

               {x = 0}, {x = infinity}, {x = -infinity}

> singular(ln(x)/(x^2-1));

                      {x = 0}, {x = 1}, {x = -1}

> singular(x/(x-y));

                            {x = y, y = y}