Re: Mathematica to .NET compiler

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79542] Re: Mathematica to .NET compiler
  • From: Jon Harrop <jon at ffconsultancy.com>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 00:04:14 -0400 (EDT)

Peter Pein wrote:
> I think it would be more promising to build a tool which translates
> Mathematica to a declarative language and to build a hybrid, running
> easy-to-translate parts in native code and calling the Mathematica
> Kernel for hard tasks.

Yes. I think this is an excellent idea. I would welcome a Mathematica
compiler that let you create stand-alone executables from your Mathematica
source code. I think it would greatly broaden Mathematica's applicability.

> While learning the basics, I came around to Haskell, OCAML and of course
> Prolog. My knowledge about these languages is too small for now but I
> think in a year or one and a half I'll try to find some people to start
> such a project...

You may be interested in the tutorial information on our site. Also, I
recently updated our ray tracer language comparison to include Haskell:

  http://www.ffconsultancy.com/languages/ray_tracer/

There was a huge gap between languages like Mathematica and C++/Fortran. I
think Haskell and OCaml do an excellent job of filling this gap.

OCaml for Scientists
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/?usenet