Re: CVS vs. SVN with Workbench

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79566] Re: CVS vs. SVN with Workbench
  • From: Chris Chiasson <chris.chiasson at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 00:16:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Jul 28, 5:03 am, Murray Eisenberg <mur... at math.umass.edu> wrote:
> For versioning control in Workbench 1.1 (under Windows), with local
> repositories only, what are the advantages/disadvantages of using CVS as
> compared with Subversion?
>
> --
> Murray Eisenberg                     mur... at math.umass.edu
> Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
> Lederle Graduate Research Tower      phone 413 549-1020 (H)
> University of Massachusetts                413 545-2859 (W)
> 710 North Pleasant Street            fax   413 545-1801
> Amherst, MA 01003-9305

Unless you use something like Tortoise SVN's local repositories option
(and I dunno how portable that is), you will need a server. BTW, I use
SVN all the time, and it works well for me. I am eventually going to
move to git (it's Linux only so far, is high performance, and does not
rely on having a repository server), though I haven't figured out how
to do merges with conflicts in git yet. See Linus Torvalds'
presentation on it at Google:

(does a good job of explaining what is meant by distributed revision
control)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8