Developing Applications using Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg77058] Developing Applications using Mathematica
  • From: "Coleman, Mark" <Mark.Coleman at>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 04:15:50 -0400 (EDT)

I'm curious about the feasibility of using Mathematica as part of large-scale
business application within my company. I know there are various ways
one can make use of Mathematica kernel functionality using non-Mathematica user
interface elements, e.g., via MathLink or WebMathematica. I was wondering if
anyone could share experiences they have in building applications --
particularly in a business rather than an academic environment -- using
Mathematica. For my project, we need to distribute an application to over 1000
users across the U.S. If I could use Mathematica as the calculation engine, the
development process would be orders of magnitude simpler. I know that in
theory this sort of this is possible, but I'm very curious as to the how
it might be effectively done.

And a follow-up question. Given the interesting new dynamic interface
features in Mathematica v6, could one build the entire application in
Mathematica, user interface and all, and then deploy it on a large scale
to non-Mathematica users?