Re: $10K Mathematica Machine

Other programs do some things faster than Mathematica (correct me someone if I'm wrong).  Me personally, and I do some Number Theory, is to get a combo of Mathematica for the GUI and a highly efficient number cruncher to do some of the more CPU intensive work.  Example:  calculate RSA code for two 512-digit primes.  I used PARI to do some of the Number Theory calculations, loaded the results into Mathematica and used Mathematica's nice PowerMod function to do the rest.