Re: Developing Applications using Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77379] Re: Developing Applications using Mathematica
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve at _removemefirst_luttrell.org.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 04:03:02 -0400 (EDT)

This question of deploying applications has bothered me ever since I first
used Mathematica back at version 1. I gradually came to accept that I would
use Mathematica to prototype applications, but that deployment was forever
beyond my reach because it involved extra cost. This limitation was
certainly the case for privately-written "amateur" software that I would
normally give away for free, but it turned out to also be the case for
work-related "professional" software because my employer prefers software to
be developed within a royalty-free framework.

Then along comes Mathematica 6 with all of its potential for deploying
applications. Mathematica Player and the Wolfram Demonstrations are very
nice, but this approach is limited for now to software whose source code you
are happy for other people to see. I don't think my employer would be too
happy if I submitted any of my work-related code to the Demonstrations
website. So it comes down to a wait-and-see how Mathematica Player is
extended to a "professional" version.

I have a worry though. Software can be written that has a lot more
functionality than I see on the Demonstrations website, but which is
typically shared for free (or for a small "donation"). Where will this type
of software fit in Wolfram's plans? It would be a shame if non-trivial
software deployment costs still effectively prevented us from deploying such
software. Pleeease get it right, Wolfram.

I am less worried about the cost of deploying fully professional software,
because I presume that the cost of each instance of such software is much
greater than the cost of the (forthcoming, we are told) professional version
of Mathematica Player. But I know that the people who really matter (i.e.
financial managers, of course!) will hate the idea of charging their
customers a fixed royalty per instance of their deployed software, rather
than paying a one-off cost for a special  "compiler" that generates a
deployed version of the software, and then charging the customer extra
anyway to recoup the cost of the "compiler" many times over!!

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

news:f3r96l$t5f$1 at smc.vnet.net...