Re: Customising syntax colouring

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77456] Re: Customising syntax colouring
  • From: Szabolcs <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 05:32:53 -0400 (EDT)

Andrew Moylan wrote:
> The new syntax colouring in version 6 is great. Is it readily
> customisable? Here's an arbitrary hypothetical example: Suppose I
> wanted all input of the form f[_] to be automatically coloured
> Darker[Green]. Is this easy?
>
> I'm not sure if I've read about this before in the documentation; at
> any rate, I can't find it now. As a side question: I'm having some
> trouble getting accustomed to the new documentation interface. Any
> crucial tips on using it efficiently?

About the documentation: I agree with you completely.  Having no table
of contents and never knowing your exact position in the documentation
is awful.  A good master index and TOC cannot be replaced with some
fuzzy search feature ... this is good for wikis, gmail etc. where manual
organisation of information is not practical, but surely WRI can afford
to create a usable index and table of contents.

About the syntax colouring:

Look up SyntaxInformation[].  It does not allow for completely arbitrary
colouring, but it is still very useful.

Szabolcs