Re: Hotkeys - redefine

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77557] Re: Hotkeys - redefine
  • From: Szabolcs <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 07:21:20 -0400 (EDT)

Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> Thank you: it was the FrontEnd`NotebookWrite... expression and the After
> that I didn't know about.
>
> You say not to create any other .tr files in the same directory.  But
> without any apparent ill effects I kept there, with the name
> OriginalKeyEventTranslations.tr,  a copy of the original
> KeyEventTranslations.tr (and likewise for MenuSetup.tr, which I had also
> modified by adding something).  Perhaps Mathematica is reading all these
> files but with no ill effect since the modified versions only add commands?

It seems that (at least in the case of EventTranslations[]) only that
file has an effect which comes "earlier" (I don't know if this is the
correct English word) in alphabetical order.

If the backup file is named AKeyEventTranslations.tr instead of
OriginalKeyEventTranslations.tr, the modifications do not take effect.

I do not understand completely how Mathematica interprets the contents
of these files (and what it does when the same thing is defined in
multiple files), so I think it is better to avoid having additional (and
unneeded) .tr files in these directories.

Szabolcs