Question re: graphics primitives

Is it possible to put conditional clauses (i.e. If[.]) in the
VertexRenderingFunction option for TreeForm (or any primitive that this
option applies to)? I wanted to selectively label vertices based on label
content, but Mathematica was complaining that "If" is not a graphics
primitive or directive.

(Basically, I'm trying to draw a tree where only the leaves have labels:

TreeForm[{{a, b}, {c, {d}}},  VertexRenderingFunction -> (If[#2 == List, {},
Text[#2, #1]] &)]

)

In general, I was having a hard time finding information at the
documentation center on the limitations on how I can generate graphics
primitives.but perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.

Thanks in advance!

--

Anwar Ghuloum

Microprocessor Technology Lab, Intel