Catenary Demonstration: needs a fix

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77670] Catenary Demonstration: needs a fix
  • From: Borut Levart <BoLe79 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 06:17:57 -0400 (EDT)

I made a draft demonstration of a catenary, a hanging cord with
movable endpoints and changeable lentgh [1], but it's not completed;
it has problems, which I am unable to fix. Is anybody interested in
completing it, or helping me to complete it, and publishing it jointly
on the Wolfram Demonstrations Project?

Problems:
- I don't know how to constrain the movements of locators under
Manipulate.
- FindRoot, which determines the curve shape, fails to find a
solution: (1) when, understandingly, points are close to one another
or one above the other, or (2) even sometimes when points are normally
apart and a locator is slowly moved across.

Thank you for interest,

Borut Levart

[1] http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/preview.html?draft/02309/000004/CatenaryTheHangingChainII