Unusual Cell syntax

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77696] Unusual Cell syntax
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 04:30:43 -0400 (EDT)

In Mathematica 6 if one types, for example,

?Plot

and examines the syntax of the resulting Cell, one finds that it has
two style elements rather than the usual one.  The resulting Cell's
internal syntax is of the form

Cell[stuff, "Print", "PrintUsage"]

There is no, as far as I know, documented discussion of ths "two-
style" syntax.  I presume then, as is true for all undocumented
features, that it may disappear from the system at some point.  I also
assume that there is some sort of cascading inheritance going on
here.

Does anyone know  more about this?  Would the folks at WRI care to
comment, either on the meaning and use of this syntax, or on its
likely persistence in the system (or both :-) ).

Thanks to all,

David

http://scientificarts.com/worklife
Now mathematica 6 compatible