numerical integration problem

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg77818] numerical integration problem
  • From: Sean <sshiau2 at>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 06:12:04 -0400 (EDT)

  I know that to post a technical question here, it is best to give an example.
  But my program is huge but straightforward, so I hope to make clear my problem by simply describing how I design the program.

  My problem at hand is that I have a list of linearly coupled equations whose coefficients are normal functions of some parameters.
  for a simple example

 I need to solve for x and y. Of course, the naive way is to put these equations into a matrix and solve for x and y----remember my problem has a 20 X 20 matrix. After this, x and y are expressed in terms of these functions. I just defind them as

Now I need to do a numerical integration over these functions x[w], and y[w].. But the trouble comes. Because of these huge expressions for the target functions x[w] and y[w], my dram is immediately eaten up and mathematica automatically terminates the program...
I read in a previous post
that suggests if I redefine
x[w_?NumerQ];= ... ;

Would this help, or there is a smarter way of fomulating my problem so that it would run faster and use less memory.

Your help is greatly appreciated,