PrimePi and limit of argument

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77911] PrimePi and limit of argument
  • From: Robert Pigeon <robert.pigeon at videotron.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 06:47:55 -0400 (EDT)

Hello all,

  I was playing around with the function PrimePi[] and trying different
arguments. When I tried PrimePi[10^15] I got the error message saying that
the argument is too large for this implementation. I know that it is a large
number.! When I use 10^14 as the argument I get an answer, it takes a while
but I get an answer.

 I tried this on a PC running Vista Home Premium 64-bit with Mathematica 6.
Then I tried the same thing under Windows XP 32-bit. There was no
difference, I got an answer for 10^14 and same error message with 10^15.

My question is: I thought that with a 64-bit computer I could use larger
numbers.! Maybe I am misunderstanding something here, so please help me
understand J

Thanks,

Robert

Robert Pigeon