Re: Why use Java in Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78208] Re: [mg78191] Why use Java in Mathematica?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 04:07:43 -0400 (EDT)

Why should Wolfram Research for everything have to "reinvent the wheel?" =

  Aside from a slight code overhead -- which could readily be equalled
or exceeded were Mathematica to implement its own version of the Java
code for its PacletManager -- what's wrong, really, with using Java?

And how can you tell for sure where the PacletManager is the only place
Mathematica needs Java?

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305