ColorSchemes Palette

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78203] ColorSchemes Palette
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 04:05:06 -0400 (EDT)

If one does much work with colors it is quite convenient to have the
ColorSchemes palette up and in a convenient place. However, I find that this
palette has some undesirable properties. It does not remember either its
position or state between Mathematica sessions such as the BasicMathInput or
SpecialCharacters palettes do.

I went to the Wolfram files and made a copy of the ColorSchemes.nb and saved
it in one of my own folders - just in case of problems. Then I opened
Mathematica, brought up the ColorSchemes palette and used the Option
Inspector on it to change:

Notebook Options
 File Options
  Editable changed to True
  Saveable changed to True
  ClosingAutoSave changed to True

This worked and the palette now remembers both its position and state and
appears to function properly. However, I wondered if there was a reason that
WRI set those options to False?

Another feature of the ColorSchemes palette that I dislike is the operation
of the slider bars. They are hardly adequate for scrolling through the
colors and schemes, being too sensitive when the list is long.  They would
be much better if a "LeftStepButton" and "RightStepButton"  (or in this case
up and down) could be added to the controls, or if once one had selected a
color or scheme, the up/down arrow keys could be used to scroll through the
list.

For those who are used to using the old named colors in the Graphics`Colors`
package and are now dismayed at the great amount of typing needed in the new
scheme the following routine might be useful:

color[] := ColorData["Legacy", "Range"]
color[c_] := ColorData["Legacy"][SymbolName[c]]

color[]

color@RawUmber

In general, the additional typing is worth the richness of the new color
schemes.

--
David Park
djmpark at comcast.net