Re: Book or Manual for 6?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78276] Re: Book or Manual for 6?
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 05:32:17 -0400 (EDT)

At my age I can sympathize with the established style of reading books. But
I would like to suggest that you seriously consider getting a nice laptop
and putting Mathematica on it so you can be with your wife and your dog and
maybe watch a good movie in the background.

The cold hard cruel fact is that Mathematica Version 6 is almost like a
whole new program. There is so much new in it that learning the new features
is equivalent to learning the original Mathematica from scratch. This is
certainly unfair to people immersed in projects or people who are fairly
happy with the earlier versions and eager to get on with their research or
studies. Some of these people should consider staying with Version 5.2 until
they have time to take on Version 6. I myself am a little chagrined that
with absorbing a new computer, Version 6 and trying to convert over packages
I have no time left for doing what I really want to do.

But, Version 6 IS WORTH THE EFFORT. So most of us will just have to bite the
bullet and go back to school. The consolation is that there is a lot of fun
and excitement in learning the new features.

As to the lack of a hard copy book: I don't think that a static book is the
way to learn Mathematica. This is especially so for Version 6 with its
dynamics and new graphical features. You can't slide a slider bar or punch
setter buttons in a book. They won't do anything. You can see what
AutoActive does. A book is unlikely to have the high quality color graphics
to show opacity and overlays. Nor can you actively interact with the
graphics. You can't click on a book graphic and select a subpart of the
graphic and then click again and obtain the points that were used to plot a
2D curve. Simply reading descriptions of these things is no substitute for
actually doing them. Hard copy books are truly inadequate for learning the
new Mathematica. That is probably why there was little effort to produce
such a book.

People who know me know that I tirelessly argue that Mathematica notebooks,
if done as a natural extension of a classical technical writing style, are
orders of magnitude better than printed papers or books. It seems obvious
and I think that the designers of Mathematica notebooks had such a style in
mind from the beginning. But it is very difficult to convince many people of
it.

The Documentation Center has a 'New in Version 6' subsection for each of its
major groupings. The Dynamics Section is all new. Going to those sections,
finding the new or changed commands, typing them into your own practice
notebook and trying a few variations is the best and only way to learn the
new commands. Alas, it takes time.

--
David Park
djmpark at comcast.net