Re: Why use Java in Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg78312] Re: Why use Java in Mathematica?
  • From: David Bailey <dave at>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 04:22:35 -0400 (EDT)

Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> Would you still object to paclet delivery of bug fixes if the user had a
> choice of whether to accept the paclets?  Or at least if the delivery
> were "noisy" rather than quiet?
> And isn't getting bug fixes quickly often more desirable than waiting
> for a new, numbered release?
> David Bailey wrote:
>> I would also like to know just how far the packlet concept is intended
>> to go. For example, if actual code improvements (bug fixes) were to be
>> delivered in this way, I think it would be a very unfortunate step.
I agree - if bug fixes arrived and were announced and you had the chance
to accept/reject them, that would be much more acceptable - although
even then it would create confusion when someone reports a problem with
Mathematica - were they using 6.01246b?

Come to think of it, upgrades to the documentation could usefully follow
the same convention - because then you would know there was something
new to read!

David Bailey