Replacement question

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg74156] Replacement question
  • From: Brian Beckage <Brian.Beckage at>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 03:34:35 -0500 (EST)

I apologize for this very basic question.  I understand how to use /.
{} to replace a  variable with a more complex expression, e.g., x->
y+z.  Can one move in the opposite direction to replace all
occurrences of y+z with x?   myExpression/.{y+z->x} does not seem to

Thank you for your help,

Brian Beckage
Department of Plant Biology
University of Vermont